Skip to main content

Give Them Their Flowers


Give Them Their Flowers Before Time is Done


I'm not going to lie, I thought this saying was talking about literal flowers. Perhaps, maybe it still is, but I'll tell you why I'm deciding to write about it.

The saying hit me the other day while I was complimenting a friend, and afterwards, something totally different came to mind. With my interpretation, the flowers is symbolic to appreciating someone's presence and their soul before their time is up on earth.

To give them flowers is to publically and privately acknowledge, to give compliments, to tell them how much they mean to you, to show your gratitude towards them, to be an encouragement, to be a helping hand. It is simply to love and honor and be grateful of the one you so-call care for, whether it's your Parents, Siblings, Nieces or Nephews, Friends, Spouse, or whoever...tell them what they really mean to you. And no, I'm not talking about going off on them. That's not pretty flowers, that's an allergic reaction. 

But anyway, I wanted to bring this subject up because the older I get, the more I'm realizing how precious my life is and those I'm around. I also understand that there are so many people out here who just need to hear something positive about themselves even by someone else. It gives that extra boost in confidence. It could also be saving their life. 

It also helps me to never be envious of anyone, especially if they're a lot farther than I am. It helps me to see people better, it helps me to be vulnerable and honest with folk, identifying with them and making a genuine impression in their heart. Most of all, it honestly feels good to speak to folk more positively; to compliment and acknowledge their greatness. Sometimes I give a full bouquet, other times I give a single stem, but as long as I'm giving them something to let them know how I think and feel about them, I know I'm planting a beautiful garden in the lives of others. 

You know what's also cool? I've heard people say that when they plant flowers or like any type of green foliage, that they talk to it to help it grow. They say lots of positive and affirming things to these bulbs for a long time and after a while, out comes something beautiful. It's the same with us. The more we speak to people with kindness, love, healing, meaning, etc, the more we grow and mature into something strong and beautiful. We become gorgeous like a flower and our inner selves bloom and our soul sprays a fragrance that becomes so infectious, that automatically someone is going to compliment how great it smells. You ever walked past a bed of flowers and smelled its perfume in the wind? Most times you'd be like "oh man, those flowers smell so good." It's as simple as that, not unless you're a hater. If you are, well, you're probably a weed. Somebody bring me the round up, please. 

But seriously, to me, as I look it like that, it is all too important that we be intentional about giving each other flowers so that we each may experience a love for one another and even a deeper appreciation for ones beauty. When we plant/give flowers to someone, we are helping to landscape the earth with more beautiful people and helping them to see themselves the way we do. It takes nothing to tell somebody how great they are at something. It takes nothing to say I love you to someone. It takes nothing to tell them how courageous and bold they are. It takes NOTHING to acknowledge those we admire and care for.


So I challenge you today, give someone you know a flower. In the process, you'll be giving yourself one too. Watch both of you bloom. 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Throw The Whole Person Away

Throw The Whole Person Away I love this meme for many reasons. It works well with so many jokes and incidences deemed funny or light heartedly crazy, especially when it comes to breakups and such. But on the flip side, it's not as funny when it involves someone you know. Most recently, I found myself having to confront this line in a much more personal way. I'll explain. Last week, a situation happened to a person I know that got him into a lot of trouble. I won't disclose what it was but just know it really wasn't good. Upon looking at the circumstance, my heart went out to him because I know that he's such a bright and smart young man that made a ridiculous and stupid choice that could literally cost him everything. Knowing the details, anyone could say, "Throw the whole person away," and justifiably so, BUT for me I didn't feel that in this case. The reason why it's personal is because at the time I felt like his decision would impact

Hello Me! (A Self-Discovery Segment)

Who Do You Think You Are? I wrote this quote because I was talking to a young friend of mine one evening and out of nowhere, I began to ask her random questions about herself. I wanted to know what her thoughts were. I wanted to know her views, why she does the things she does, why she thinks the way she thinks. And after talking to her for a while, I came to realize that many of us don’t know who we really are outside of what our life events and loved one's voices has said we are. I want to first say, if you're the kind of person that has had nothing but positivity in your life from friends and family and you bask in that identity, that is so awesome. You’ve probably found yourself and this post probably isn't for you. However, for those of us who are just now journeying to find a sense of self after so long of being told what to be, how to act, what to do, and all the other societal standards, this post is for you. HOW YOU DOIN?? HEY GIRL HEY (Or BOY)! 

Your Ugly Has Beauty, Too (Forgiveness)

Forgive me, y'all. This one might be a lil long today. Ugly truths are hard to confront and mirrors weren't made to just reflect outer beauty but to show the uglier sides of us too. I want to be honest with you guys right now. Last summer, I found myself in a real funk. This was a few months after I had done my When Hearts Align Concert which, by the way, I had already felt like I failed at it. Add on some other factors like being a stay at home mom (which is a job within itself), a wife, not having any real quality time with my husband, especially the physical part of it, my best friend coming to stay with us for a while (although she was a tremendous help for us), not having any money (and I don't mean joint account money. I mean my own, actually working for it so that I can spend it how I want to, money), feeling a little lost and not sure of myself, constant negative reminders of being a failure (That's what I told myself. I know it's not true), it playe